The U.S. Army Engineer Research and Development Center (ERDC) Geotechnical and Structures Laboratory (GSL) invites solutions that will develop lightweight-kitted solutions to provide rapidly deployable protection. This includes the advancement of new prototype systems, such as personnel bunkers, as well as further development of existing ERDC prototypes.
Estimated Government Funding Profile
Up to $10,000,000
Estimated Period of Performance
Five-years is anticipated.
Geotechnical and Structures Laboratory (GSL), U.S. Army Engineer Research and Development Center (ERDC)
Project Security Classification
Selected vendor may be required to obtain secret security clearance
Background and Problem Statement
ERDC-GSL seeks solutions that will develop lightweight-kitted solutions to provide rapidly deployable protection. This includes development of new prototype systems, such as personnel bunkers, as well as further development of existing ERDC prototypes, such as, but not limited to, the Aggressor Vehicle Entry Readiness Technology (AVERT) Barrier System, AVERT Maximum (AVERT MAX), Ready Armor Protection for Instant Deployment (RAPID), Expedient Retrofit for Existing Buildings (EREB), and the Modular Protective System (MPS) suite of products. This also includes supplying all Technical Data Packages (TDPs) for technology transition and participation in demonstrations and field tests as necessary.
Potential tasks include, but are not limited to:
Task 1 – Fabricate Prototypes
- Using designs provided by ERDC, provide prototypes of required systems
- Recommend any changes necessary during fabrication, and upon ERDC’s approval, implement design changes
Task 2 – Document Designs in Technical Data Packages
- Develop technical data packages for each final design
- Develop user documentation for setup, operation, and break-down of prototypes
Task 3 – Provide Support for Demonstrations and Field Testing
- Attend demonstrations as requested
- Attend field experiments as requested
- Deliver systems to required locations
Potential capability needs include, but are not limited to:
- Design and Engineering
- CAD Solid modeling
- Designs to include Al/Steels, pneumatics, hydraulics, electrical, plastics, composites, etc.
- Rapid prototyping
- CNC Router (Aluminum, Plastics and Composites)
- CNC 3 axis Milling
- CNC 5 axis Milling
- CNC Lathe
- Certified manual welding (TIG, MIG and Brazing)
- Robotic Welding
- Raw Material Cutting (Plasma, Waterjet, Band sawing, Laser and Oxy-acetylene Torch)
- Tube and Bar Bending
- Sheet Metal Fabrication
- Mil-spec Painting/Coating
- Final Product Assembly
- Packaging and Shipping
Solutions received in response to this announcement will be selected based upon review of how innovative and feasible the solution is at solving an agency challenge, the potential to enhance the mission effectiveness of the agency, and funding availability. Please see full announcement for further details.
Notional Project Schedule
Proposed project milestones include:
|July 6, 2023||Submissions Open|
|July 24, 2023||Submissions Close|
|July 24-31, 2023||ERDC Completes Evaluation of Submissions|
|August 1, 2023||ERDC Requests Full Proposal|
|August 18, 2023||Full Proposal Evaluation|
|By or Before September 30, 2023||Anticipated Award|
*If needed; dates may vary to accommodate project team and participant availability.
ERDC patents referenced above:
- Aggressor Vehicle Entry Readiness Technology (AVERT)
- Ready Armor Protection for Instant Deployment (RAPID)
- Expedient Retrofit for Existing Buildings (EREB)
- Modular Protective System Expedient Guard Tower (MPS-GT)
- Modular Protective System for Overhead Cover (MPS-OHC)
How to Participate
Submission Instructions: This solicitation is issued consistent with the authority granted to the U.S. Army Engineer Research and Development Center (ERDC) through the establishment of its Commercial Solutions Opening (CSO), W912HZ23SC003, with a focus on the mission of the Geotechnical and Structures Laboratory. Submissions must follow the requirements as detailed in the CSO Solicitation document.
Interested parties may submit questions using this form until July 17, 2023.
Submissions must meet stated requirements and be received no later than 10:00 am CST on Monday, July 24, 2023.
ERDC-GSL is conducting this project announcement on a full and open basis and intends to award contracts in accordance with FAR part 12 and the FAR part that is deemed most appropriate for the solution proposed (i.e. FAR part 13, 15, and/or 35); the government reserves the right to award prototype agreements (e.g. Other Transaction Agreements), in accordance with 10 U.S.C. 4022, if deemed appropriate and in the government’s best interest.